- Meetings with subordinates to discuss poor performance
- Meetings with supervisors to discuss missed deadlines
- Meetings with school administrators to discuss problems with our children’s misadventures
- Meetings with our spouses to discuss marital difficulties
- Meetings with neighbors to discuss problems in the community
All the meetings in the list above should take place, indeed, they need to take place. The fact that each of them concerns an unpleasant topic is immaterial. These meetings must take place and when it is time for one of them to happen, you must take action now, prepare, have the meetings and continue on with life. It may be useful to develop a plan that will help you take action now when the task to be done is one you dislike or find unpleasant.
7. Take action now and do what you set out to do and keep moving forward
While you may never like certain situations you face, there is satisfaction to be gained when you take action now and do what must be done. It is likely that you will never like whatever it is that you have to do. The situation you are facing may always be unpleasant and therefore you will not like it even after you take action now to accomplish it. That does not matter. You will however always feel good about the decision to take action now and get done what needs to be done in your life.
This post was inspired by the book A Letter to My Cat by Lisa Erspamer. It is a great book about cats that my daughter stole from me as soon as it arrived and has been reading non-stop ever since. Everyone in my family loves our cat. I do not, but I must feed her and care for her a task I dislike. Each time I do, I am reminded that sometimes we must take action now and do things we do not like to do.
In conclusion, it is magnificent to take action now and learn how to work with things you do not like. So, the question for you this magnificent day is, what task that you dislike are you going to take on today?